Συνέντευξη με την Margaret Weis

heiron

Soon to be translated-sorry! ^_^

Margaret Edith Weis (born March 16, 1948 in Independence, Missouri, United States) is a fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, is one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world and has written numerous novels and short stories set in fantastic worlds.

1. (the inevitable "collaboration question")You seem to enjoy working with other writers on a book as much as writing it entirely on your own.Which are the advantages and disadvantages in either case?

Advantage: I get to put the characters into life-threatening situations and then my collaborator has to get them out! (J) Actually it's great to have someone to talk to about the plot, work out problems, present fresh ideas. Disadvantages: building a cooperative relationship takes work.

2. What's your answer to those who claim they "can hear the dice rolling" in your books?Do you think it's a good way to write a great book?

I don't agree with those people. We work specifically NOT to hear dice rolling!

3. Do you think it would be harder for you to get published today than it was back in the 80s?

Probably easier because any writer can self-publish on the net! I wrote books for ten years before I was published, so I wouldn't say it was easy back then!

4. Is the genre as popular as it used to be?And has this popularity helped books or just games and movies?

I'd say books aren't as popular as they used to be.

5. Does fantasy need a fresh start?Is it actually following the successful epic fantasy example of LOTR and DnD rpg games or is it recently being transformed?

Since I don't read fantasy, I can't really answer. I just write what I enjoy writing.

6. Epic fantasy is largely based on west european mythology.Do you think it would be better-for example in the Asian market-if it included other mythologies as well?

I wrote an Arabic fantasy, Rose of the Prophet. Wasn't as popular with Western audiences. I think Manga has helped build interest in Asian fantastical culture.

7. Why do you think Raistlin is so popular compared to all the other characters of your stories?(It is your favorite character I suppose,or is it Tasselhof?)

Raistlin is my favorite character. I think he is popular because so many people can identify with him--dealing with sibling rivalry, feeling weak and bullied, seeking power, ambition, etc.

8. Among the numerous books you've written which one would you suggest to a reader who hasn't picked so far any of your novels?

Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Start at the beginning!

9. You've stated you don't really read much fantasy.But then how come you actually became a (famous) fantasy writer anyway?And which are the books,the writers you actually enjoy reading (if you read in your free time)?

Hopefully I'm a good writer. Not just a good fantasy writer. That's what I strive for. Some of my favorite authors are: Charles Dickens, Chaim Potok, Mary Renault, Jane Austen, Rex Stout, Conan Doyle, on and on!

10. Could you tell us a few words about the Dragon Brigade series?

Ah, this is so much fun! Dragons and hot air balloons, cannons and pistols and muskets, demons and saints, dragon riders, spies and intrigue, magic and mayhem!

Edited by Spark
Μειώθηκε λίγο η απόσταση μεταξύ των ερωτήσεων και των απαντήσεων.

Πολύ ενδιαφέρον! Ευχαριστούμε, κένταυρε! Έχει διαβάσει κανείς βιβλίο της, να μας πει μια γνώμη;

Μήπως κάτι λείπει από την πρώτη της απάντηση;

Βασικα τα πρωτα της σειρας μονο.Τυπικο επικο φαντασυ για rpg αλλα σχετικα καλη γραφη και χαρακτηρες-με αλλα λογια μια αναβαθισμενη εκδοση του Σαλβατορε.Φερνει και λιγο σε Feist.O Ρεστλιν μορφη.Α,και καλη τυπισσα παντως.

• Φάντασμα changed the title to Συνέντευξη με την Margaret Weis