China Mieville

Βάρδος

Και πάνω που διαβάζω το The Scar, πετυχαίνω χτες αυτή τη συνέντευξη. Τυχαίο ή μοιραίο; Τίποτα από τα δύο, κατά πάσα πιθανότητα. Η συνέντευξη εξακολουθεί να είναι αηδιαστικά ενδιαφέρουσα.

A few things that geeks enjoy:

Dungeons & Dragons

Trade magazines

Monster chases and gunfights

Golems

THE BELIEVER: Are you a geek?

CHINA MIÉVILLE: Yeah, I am completely a geek.

"NO ONE EVER GOT INTO SCIENCE FICTION

FOR THE SEX OR PRESTIGE.”

“WHEN I WRITE MY NOVELS,

I’M NOT WRITING THEM TO MAKE POLITICAL POINTS.

I’M WRITING THEM BECAUSE I PASSIONATELY LOVE MONSTERS.”

I use AD&D-type fascination with teratology in a lot of my books, and I have the original Monster Manual, and the Monster Manual 2, and the Fiend Folio. I still collect role-playing game bestiaries, because I find that kind of fascination with the creation of the monstrous tremendously inspiring, basically.

In all the books, there is some kind of moral or political resolution, but it always comes at a cost. The story is not about the good getting their rewards and the bad getting punished. The story is about something different from that.

If someone wants to read a book to feel better, and the way they want to feel better is to see that the good people get rewarded and the bad people get punished, that’s fine, but essentially what they want then is a fairy tale.

Και πολλά άλλα ενδιαφέροντα.

Όταν διαβάζω ανθρώπους σαν τον Mieville, αρχίζω να πιστεύω ότι ίσως, τελικά, αυτός ο γαμημένος κόσμος να μην πηγαίνει κατά διαόλου.